Thursday, February 2, 2012

Division of Things

I really liked part 2 of "Sit In What City We're In" the best out of the rest of the parts of City Eclogue. Most of the time when I was reading, I wasn't inspired to think beyond the text and dive into what the meaning behind the poems were. However, this part of the poem actually took me into more of the meaning and what I think the author might have been trying to say.

I'm not sure that I actually completely understand what the author was saying, but I've created meaning for myself out of it. I especially liked this line, "You can't smash the mirror there but it break here. And in it you see that you can't see your own back, your angel of unfamiliar, of that not like your face...See." What I take from that is that we are constantly learning new things about ourselves and that at no point in time we will know completely who we are. There is always going to be some part of ourselves that we don't understand.

Which I can relate to life in general. As I've gotten older, my thought process has completely changed itself over time. Obviously, age brings changes. And who I am presently isn't who I will be in my future, so I feel like everything is going to constantly be changing and nothing is going to stay the same for awhile. So in the poem, not being able to see your own back, kept me thinking about these parts of life.

1 comment:

  1. great, say more! Don't worry about understanding what it all means, but focus on those things you find interesting, what draws you in.

    ReplyDelete