Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Women

My favorite reading from this week was The Women, and not because I am into lesbian action or anything, but because strangely I felt myself in the story. The author really grabbed my attention and captivated me in a way that not many short story authors have done so far. There were a few things that I could connect with, simply because I grew up around people who were "mentally ill." My dad was bipolar so this story reminded me of times with him, one minute he was normal and the next he was not so much, which the lady who is narrating seems like she goes through those same type of moments.

Also after reading the notes at the end of it, I found out why the author wrote what she did. And recently I've dealt with a lot of kids and people who have asbergers and autism. The interesting thing is that she mentions how modern "syndromes" would have been classified as crazy in the past, yet now as our times discover more and more about these syndromes, we realize that they aren't so crazy after all. Years ago people thought that autism was a person who was demented, now we have a whole new way of understanding and realizing who these people are.

1 comment: